Green+ Check: University Clinic Hamburg-Eppendorf
In 2011, the University Clinic Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany performed the Green+ Check which is part of the Siemens Green+ Hospitals concept. The analysis tool uses metrics that are compared with benchmarks and reference values from other hospitals, then weighted in accordance with their significance for overall sustainability and finally aggregated to produce a sustainability index in the form of the Green+ Score. The detailed analysis process assesses information from a questionnaire and from interviews and the findings of building visits and presents the results for each of the Green+ Hospitals categories – the environment, efficiency and quality – separately.
- University clinic Hamburg-Eppendorf: one of the leading hospitals in the North of Germany with 14 clinical centers and more than 80 clinics and institutes
- 1,489 beds on extended campus
- New main building opened in 2009
- Advanced practices in performance management for quality and efficiency established; launch of “Green UKE“ initiative to strengthen environmental dimension in context of “Hamburg European Green Capital
- Green+ Check performed as basis for development of an UKE Green master plan
- Green+ Score of 72 shows excellent performance
- Strengths and weaknesses of hospital determined
- Good performance on strategy/metrics, quality of medical services, highly efficient processes, and efficient IT
- Potential for further improvement especially with respect to “green“ aspects such as electrical energy and heating
- Catalogue of measures for further improvement derived; implementation of first wave will start in 2011
- Potential for energy savings of more than 1,200,000 EUR p.a. identified*
*Data on file.